Below is a list of publications associated with the N-Print project.
Background on nitrogen
- Erisman, JW, JN Galloway, S Seitzinger, A Bleeker, NB Dise, AMR Petrescu, AM Leach, W de Vries. 2013. Consequences of human modification of the global nitrogen cycle. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 368: 20130116.
- Galloway, JN, AM Leach, A Bleeker, JW Erisman. 2013. A chronology of the human understanding of the nitrogen cycle. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 368: 20130120.
Institution nitrogen footprints
These journal articles were published as part of the April 2017 Special Issue on Nitrogen Footprints in Sustainability: The Journal of Record
- The Nitrogen Footpirnt Tool Network: A Multi-Institution Program to Reduce Nitrogen Pollution. Elizabeth A. Castner, Allison M. Leach, Neil Leary, Jill Baron, Jana E. Compton, James N. Galloway, Meredith G. Hastings, Jacob Kimiecik, Jonathan Lantz-Trissel, Elizabeth de la Reguera, Rebecca Ryals. This lead article provides an update on the Nitrogen Footprint Tool for institutions and presents results for the first 7 campuses to calculate their N footprint. Open Access.
- Adding a Nitrogen Footprint to Colorado State University's Sustainability Plan. Jacob Kimiecik, Jill S. Baron, Timothy Weinman, Emily Taylor. This paper provides a case study on CSU's nitrogen footprint, including how it was calculated and how the findings are being used.
- Reducing the Nitrogen Footprint of a Small Residential College. Neil Leary, Elizabeth de la Reguera, Steven Fitzpatrick, Olivia Boggiano-Peterson. This case study highlights the nitrogen footprint of Dickinson College. Open Access
- Comparing Institution Nitrogen Footprints: Metrics for Assessing and Tracking Environmental Impact. Elizabeth A. Castner, Allison M. Leach, Jana E. Compton, James N. Galloway, Jennifer Andrews. This paper explores a variety of comparison metrics for campus nitrogen footprints, including normalizations per person and by food purchases. Open Access
- Assessing the Social and Environmental Costs of Institution Nitrogen Footprints. Jana E. Compton, Allison M. Leach, Elizabeth A. Castner, James N. Galloway. This study connects the nitrogen footprints of the Unviersity of Virginia and the University of New Hampshire to estimates of the damage costs from nitrogen pollution. Open Access
- Defining System Boundaries of an Institution Nitrogen Footprint. Elizabeth de la Reguera, Elizabeth A. Castner, James N. Galloway, Allison M. Leach, Neil Leary, Jianwu Tang. This paper considers the importance of defining system boundaries and explores different options for assigning bounds. Open Access
- Leveraging the Nitrogen Footprint to Increase Campus Sustainability. Rebecca T. Barnes, Jennifer Andrews, Colleen C. Orr. This study explores how other campus sustainability initiatives relate to the nitrogen footprint, with case studies presented for Colorado College and the University of New Hampshire.
- An Integrated Tool for Calculating and Reducing Institution Carbon and Nitrogen Footprints. Allison M. Leach, James N. Galloway, Elizabeth A. Castner, Jennifer Andrews, Neil Leary, John D. Aber. This paper presents the methodology and case study results for a new integrated tool that will calculate campus carbon and nitogen footprints together. Open Access
- Calculating Institution Nitrogen Footprints Creates Connections across Campus. Meredith G. Hastings, Rebecca T. Barnes, Jessica Berry, Jacob Kimiecik, Rebecca Ryals, Jonathan Lantz-Trissel. This commentary discusses how the N footprint tool can be used on a campus.
Country nitrogen footprints
- Hutton, O, AM Leach, A Leip, JN Galloway, M Bekunda, C Sullivan, JP Lesschen. 2017. Toward a nitrogen footprint calculator for Tanzania. Environmental Research Letters 12: 034016.
- Liang, X, AM Leach, JN Galloway, B Gu, SK Lam, D Chen. 2016. Beef and coal are key drivers of Australia's high nitrogen footprint. Scientific Reports 6: 39644.
- Pierer, M, W Winiwarter, AM Leach, JN Galloway. 2014. The nitrogen footprint of food products and general consumption patterns in Austria. Food Policy 49: 128-136.
- Shibata, H, LR Cattaneo, AM Leach, JN Galloway. 2014. First approach to the Japanese nitrogen footprint model to predict the loss of nitrogen to the environment. Environmental Research Letters 9: doi.10.1088/1748-9326/9/11/115013.
- Stevens, CJ, AM Leach, S Dale, JN Galloway. 2014. Personal nitrogen footprint tool for the United Kingdom. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts 16: 1563-1569.
- Gu, B, AM Leach, L Ma, JN Galloway, SX Chang, Y Ge, J Chang. 2013. Nitrogen footprint in China: Food, energy, and nonfood goods. Environmental Science & Technology 47: 9217-9224.
- Leach, AM, JN Galloway, A Bleeker, JW Erisman, R Kohn, J Kitzes. 2012. A nitrogen footprint model to help consumers understand their role in nitrogen losses to the environment. Environmental Development 1: 40-66.
Other nitrogen footprint papers
- Shibata, H, JN Galloway, AM Leach, LR Cattaneo, L Cattell Noll, JW Erisman, B Gu, X Liang, K Hayashi, L Ma, T Dalgaard, M Graversgaard, D Chen, K Nansai, J Shindo, K Matsubae, A Oita, MC Su, SI Mishima, A Bleeker. 2017. Nitrogen footprints: Regional realities and options to reduce nitrogen loss to the environment. Ambio 46: 129-142.
- Davis, KF, JA Gephart, KA Emery, AM Leach, JN Galloway, P D'Odorico. 2016. Meeting future food demand with current agricultural needs. Global Environmental Change 39: 125-132.
- Galloway, JN, AM Leach. 2016. Sustainability: Your feet's too big. Nature Geoscience 9: 97-98.
- Gephart, JA, KF Davis, KA Emery, AM Leach, JN Galloway, ML Pace. 2016. The environmental cost of subsistence: Optimizing diets to minimize footprints. Science of the Total Environment 553: 120-127.
- Leach, AM, KA Emery, J Gephart, KF Davis, JW Erisman, A Leip, ML Pace, P D'Odorico, J Carr, L Cattell Noll, E Castner, JN Galloway. 2016. Environmental impact food labels combining carbon, nitrogen, and water footprints. Food Policy 61: 213-223.
- Galloway, JN, W Winiwarter, A Leip, AM Leach, A Bleeker, JW Erisman. 2014. Nitrogen footprints: Past, present, and future. Environmental Research Letters 9: 115003.
- Leip, A, A Leach, P Musinguzi, T Tumwesigye, G Olupot, JS Tenywa, J Mudiope, O Hutton, CMdS Cordovil, M Bekunda, J Galloway. 2014. Nitrogen-neutrality: A step towards sustainability. Environmental Research Letters 9: doi.10.1088/1748-9326/9/11/115001.
- Leach, AM, AN Majidi, JN Galloway, AJ Greene. 2013. Toward institutional sustainability: A nitrogen footprint model for a university. Sustainability: The Journal of Record 6: 211-219.